Thursday, April 8, 2010

How to perfect the perfect Pushup Women! You CAN do it!

Watch the VIDEO demonstration of "How to Perfect the Perfect Pushup"





You know what I love about my job?  Well, lots of things honestly - the freedom to create my own destiny and success, the freedom to be my own boss (YAY), the freedom to create a life balance that works for our family and so much more.  One of the best things is that I get to teach women that they CAN do so much more than they  THINK they can.  I am so convinced that our mind shuts us down long before our body steps in and says quit!  We are so much more capable of accomplishing what seems impossible if we stay mind strong and keep an open mind and heart and just try.  My job is to convince, cajole, gently  nudge, prod, challenge, push, ask that my women at Inspire Fitness Boot Camps give me their absolute best and think CAN and not CAN'T.  

 

So I've been thinking about doing a video for a while and my good friend and Warrior Woman, Ann Evanston reminded me that I need to create a "how to video" to impart more knowledge to my clients.  I got so inspired I shot 2 videos today ("How to do a pushup" and "How to make Quinoa Muffins" coming later!)

 All I can say is thank goodness my boys are home and can be my director/producers and yes they were paid handsomely for their "jobs" lol ).  This is my first video and it's entitled "How to perfect the Perfect Pushup" for women!  Yea - men could benefit from this too as the technique translates across the board but my focus is women so here you go!  Let me know what you think and please give these pushups a try.  I KNOW you CAN do a pushup.

Perfecting the Perfect Pushup

here's some basics to know first;

Step 1: Lie face down with Resistance band around your hips (watch video to see how you secure the band)

Lie face down on the floor.

Step 2: Place hands on side of chest

Place your hands on either side of your chest, palms down, with your fingers wide and pointing forward.

Step 3: Position feet

Flex your foot so that your toes point toward your head and your heels are up in the air.

Step 4: Push off floor

Keeping your body in a straight line, push yourself off the floor until your arms are almost fully extended.
Flex your back, stomach, butt, and leg muscles to keep your torso in line—and make your push-ups a full-body workout.

Step 5: Lower body

Slowly lower your body until your chest almost touches the ground.
To make push-ups easier, leave your knees on the floor—to make them harder, put your feet up on a step.

Step 6: Repeat with good form (remember quality over quantity)


 
Do push-ups - quality over quantity so stop when your form starts failing.  Fortunately, you’re already on the floor, so relaxing is easy.  Stretch into a child's pose for a nice post pushup stretch.

links to the products I used in this video:
Resistance band - I recommend starting with the Single Band Package and using the Purple band.  Get it here

TRX - as you get stronger, you can advance your pushup by using the TRX which allows you to do a pushup with your feet in the straps, fully suspended.  Very challenging but a lot of fun once you master the basics.  Get the TRX HERE


Do what you love, love what you do!

I'm running the $1 for 1 week promo so if you're thinking of getting fit, why not get fit with us at Inspire Fitness Boot Camps

5 comments:

  1. Nice start to your video training series. I like the idea of the rubber band assist when getting started. I'd probably need a forklift assist if I was working from the floor. So far I'm pushing off the wall. To paraphrase Buzz Lightyear "To the floor and beyond".

    - Kerry Hargraves
    http://creatingadventures.com
    Life is an occasion. Rise to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fabulous Joy for the Warrior-Women shout out! hopefully people will come visit my fan page! And Kerry cracks me up! Forklift!

    I love the overall message - it's your mind that decides whether you can or your can't!!! I remember when I decided I was doing to do 10 unassisted dips in the gym - "girls don't do dips" , why I'd ask. "They just don't" Whatever! Set your mind and you can!

    Ann Evanston
    Warrior-Preneur
    The Warrior is Within You

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been doing push ups for years, but never thought of incorporating a band. Good to know as I age that there are options. Great start on your video series - you are inspiring!!

    Sharon Hiebing
    Creating Wealth through Caring & Connecting
    http://www.wealthships.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your first video! It's so funny -- I, too, get resistance initially from clients when I ask them to do push-ups in my workout classes. Once they get over the mind-created limitation (with help from me to push them further), my gals end up doing 105 push-ups each class!! We can ALL do it!

    Mary Peterson
    TRAIN-U-FIT
    http://trainufit.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! So funny you had your kids direct the video! Thats what Julie Anderson, who I work for at Your Best Mind does too! And she just video's her boys on road trips for work and posts them too haha! Love the tips though! It inspires me to work out again!

    Shawna E Anderson
    www.YourBestMindOnline.com
    "Your Brain Search & Rescue Program"

    ReplyDelete