Friday, February 26, 2010

Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you you can do. -John Wooden

What I can do and cannot do was the motto of the day today!

I can swing from a trapeze today - YAY.  I can get my knees up and on the bar most of the time :),  Then there is the "catch". So we got to practice just the knees up, hands off for the first hour which was fun and I was getting way more comfortable being 40 feet in the air, harnessed in thank God, and jumping off a teensy weensy platform shared by 2 other people!

Oh... and then there's the catch - which is the last part of the 1 1/2 lesson (aka workout!)  is where you repeat swiing, getting your legs up and over the bar, hook your knees on, release your hands, arch back and reach for the guy that's waiting to catch you. So, it is now that I accept that I cannot do this -- at least not today or the last time I tried it but I can do more than I thought I ever could do.  You see I had a herniated disc in my L5-S1 which led to a spinal fusion surgery a few years ago. Doctors said -- no Joy, running not good for you, full extension and flexion not gonna happen for you - after all your back is fused remember.  But...what I can do is attempt these fun things, and enjoy life to its fullest.  I'm so proud that I'm able to even walk, much less climb a 40 foot ladder, have the strength to swing from a bar, get my knees up on a few occasions and have a great time doing it.

The letting go that I cannot do this particular sport as you will is really ok with me considering I'm so darn competitive.  I'm growing up I think :) 

ps-I'll post a movie later of me doing what I could do and attempting what I could not do.

5 comments:

  1. Joy, you are so brave and inspiring. I love it. So glad you have a blog now too, you're postings will for sure motivate and inspire every time I read it. Thanks,

    Love,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also kind of freak out knowing Angela is in the same contest...she's so way ahead of me, I've got a lot of catching up and lots of work outs to do :( - but it is challenging at the same time :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorothy - Angela would be so proud of you woman and you two could totally inspire each other!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration! and you story will inspire many women!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are fearless! That would scare the bejeezus out of me! Good for you though - an inspiration to all!

    Sharon Hiebing
    Creating Wealth through Caring & Connecting
    http://www.wealthships.com

    ReplyDelete